domingo, 27 de junio de 2010

David Haslam, UK: Conversational Sanskrit



PLANET ISKCON

 

Your email updates, powered by FeedBlitz

 
Here are the latest updates for

"Planet ISKCON" - 35 new articles

  1. Kurma dasa, AU: Kurma in Brisbane
  2. Bharatavarsa.net: Book distribution seminar: Depending on Krsna...
  3. Book Distribution News: Depending on Krsna...
  4. Kurma dasa, AU: The Key to Failure
  5. ISKCON Melbourne, AU: Daily Class - Gopa-Vrndesa Prabhu
  6. David Haslam, UK: Conversational Sanskrit
  7. Bharatavarsa.net: Bhakti Vikasa Swami: Srila Prabhupada defines surrender
  8. Bharatavarsa.net: Bhakti Vikasa Swami: Srila Prabhupada defines surrender
  9. Maddy Jean-claude Durr, New Govardhana, AU: Original Aussie Journey: Day 9
  10. Srila Prabhupada's Letters
  11. Srila Prabhupada's Letters
  12. Srila Prabhupada's Letters
  13. Maddy Jean-claude Durr, New Govardhana, AU: Original Aussie Journey: Day 8
  14. Srila Prabhupada's Letters
  15. Srila Prabhupada's Letters
  16. Srila Prabhupada's Letters
  17. Srila Prabhupada's Letters
  18. Srila Prabhupada's Letters
  19. Srila Prabhupada's Letters
  20. ISKCON News.com: USA: The World's Drug Addict
  21. H.H. Satsvarupa das Goswami: 479
  22. H.H. Satsvarupa das Goswami: Lionlike
  23. H.H. Satsvarupa das Goswami: Hare Krishna Mantra
  24. H.H. Satsvarupa das Goswami: The Ghoulish Figures…
  25. Jaya Kesava Das, USA: YOU CHOSE IT, USE IT
  26. H.H. Sivarama Swami: Experiments with synthesizer
  27. H.H. Sivarama Swami: Questions and Answers on chanting, Niranjana Swami and other topics with Russian disciples
  28. Yoga of Ecology, Bhakta Chris, USA: The Animal-Cruelty Syndrome
  29. Bhakti Lata, Alachua, USA: Offering Homage
  30. Gouranga TV: 24hr Kirtan Madhav Das
  31. Dandavats.com: Gurukula Project Team Weekly Reflections [23 June 2010]: Slaughtering Chastity
  32. Dandavats.com: Extatic Webcam Preaching By Nirantara Prabhu
  33. Dandavats.com: New Vrindaban Annual Country Rathyatra Festival
  34. Dandavats.com: Bhaktivedanta College Bhakti Sastri 2010
  35. Dandavats.com: ISKCON Youth Bus Tour
  36. More Recent Articles
  37. Search Planet ISKCON

Kurma dasa, AU: Kurma in Brisbane

idli and coconut chutney:

It's been a while, but I'm finally returning to sunny Queensland to teach a cookery class.

Here are the details:

Black Pearl Epicure, Fortitude Valley, Queensland, Evening Cookery Demonstration, Saturday October 30, enquiries and bookings 07 3257 2144.

Saudi baharat scented chickpeas with fresh greens:

"Vegetarian World Food"

Kurma's vegetarian cuisine continues to attract food-lovers from all cultures with its exotic flavours, delicate spices, superb nutrition and positively addictive taste. This international selection features:

Pan-seared Chili- and Tamari-glazed Fresh Panir Cheese Steaks served with BBQ Asparagus on a bed of Sweet Potato Mash with Rocket Salad,

Soft, Cashew-studded Steamed Semolina Breads (Rawa Idli) served with Hot-and-sour Toor Dal (Sambar) & Fresh Coconut Chutney,

Moghul-inspired Saffron Spicy Rice served with Saudi Baharat-scented Chickpeas & Mixed Greens (Hoummos bi Sabanik),

Creamy Cardamom- and Rose-infused Condensed Yogurt Dessert with Pistachios and Saffron Syrup (Shrikhand).

saffron shrikand:

All details and booking here.

k1:

Email to a friendRelated

Bharatavarsa.net: Book distribution seminar: Depending on Krsna...

I have a family consisting of myself, my husband and two daughters. For many years I had been distributing books every day, from door to door.

Once, it was Gita Jayanti, I was on my way out to distribute books. Before I did I decided to drink some carinamrita of our home Deity. But it was not carinamrita, it was a chemical liquid! I took only 1 spoon, but my tongue was burned, it was very painful. Now here I am standing with a burned tongue thinking, 'How in the world I am going to distribute the books now, not being able to say even a word?' But I decided to depend on Krsna and just go out. This day I distributed about 50 books. I would just smile to them, hand them a book, show them the price, and they would just buy it.

your servant, Naresvari dd

Email to a friendRelated


Book Distribution News: Depending on Krsna...

I have a family consisting of myself, my husband and two daughters. For many years I had been distributing books every day, from door to door.

Once, it was Gita Jayanti, I was on my way out to distribute books. Before I did I decided to drink some carinamrita of our home Deity. But it was not carinamrita, it was a chemical liquid! I took only 1 spoon, but my tongue was burned, it was very painful. Now here I am standing with a burned tongue thinking, 'How in the world I am going to distribute the books now, not being able to say even a word?' But I decided to depend on Krsna and just go out. This day I distributed about 50 books. I would just smile to them, hand them a book, show them the price, and they would just buy it.

your servant, Naresvari dd

Email to a friendRelated

Kurma dasa, AU: The Key to Failure

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

Email to a friendRelated

ISKCON Melbourne, AU: Daily Class - Gopa-Vrndesa Prabhu

Srimad Bhagavatam 11.21.36 - The Hare Krishna maha-mantra sound vibration is para.

Email to a friendRelated

David Haslam, UK: Conversational Sanskrit

The other day I was sent an interesting article from Dr H V S Sastry on the use fo Sanskrit tradition in the modern world, especially looking at the use of spoken Sanskrit and the use of conbersational Sanskrit he points out that “This involves a direct method of learning, which motivates the student to [...]

Email to a friendRelated

Bharatavarsa.net: Bhakti Vikasa Swami: Srila Prabhupada defines surrender

Govinda dasi raised her hand. "Prabhupada," she asked, "what does it mean exactly to surrender?"

"Surrender," Prabhupada replied, "is to know that "I am nothing...' " As Prabhupada spoke, Govinda dasi, accustomed to taking dictation, wrote down the answer, while other devotees--some seated on the floor around Prabhupada's desk, some standing in the doorway--listened attentively. "I should know," Prabhupada continued, "I am less than the stool of a hog. And Krsna--You are everything. That is very difficult. We can find millions of Isaac Newtons and Einsteins, but one very rare soul might be surrendered to Krsna. Because it is very difficult. So as long as you are thinking that "He is more learned than me' or "I am more learned than him'-that is material. You must know that you are nothing and surrender."

>>> Ref. VedaBase => SPL 7-4: A Summer in Montreal, 1968

Email to a friendRelated

Bharatavarsa.net: Bhakti Vikasa Swami: Srila Prabhupada defines surrender

Govinda dasi raised her hand. "Prabhupada," she asked, "what does it mean exactly to surrender?"

"Surrender," Prabhupada replied, "is to know that "I am nothing...' " As Prabhupada spoke, Govinda dasi, accustomed to taking dictation, wrote down the answer, while other devotees--some seated on the floor around Prabhupada's desk, some standing in the doorway--listened attentively. "I should know," Prabhupada continued, "I am less than the stool of a hog. And Krsna--You are everything. That is very difficult. We can find millions of Isaac Newtons and Einsteins, but one very rare soul might be surrendered to Krsna. Because it is very difficult. So as long as you are thinking that "He is more learned than me' or "I am more learned than him'-that is material. You must know that you are nothing and surrender."

>>> Ref. VedaBase => SPL 7-4: A Summer in Montreal, 1968

Email to a friendRelated

Maddy Jean-claude Durr, New Govardhana, AU: Original Aussie Journey: Day 9

Friday 28th, December 2007. We awoke early for chanting. It was up to us in Govinda Valley to make our own schedule, so in the ishta gosthi the night before HH Indradyumna Swami suggested that we were going to be rising early for the auspicious time of the day. Maharaja gave a class, at the end of our japa session and then we had Gurupuja. There was a big picture of Panca Tattva at the end of the hall and we used that as our alter. We were dancing jubilantly and singing ecstatically.

We spent some time reading and chanting before we hopped in the minibus for harinam. We drove out to various locations around the area and began our merry chants. We took a harinam through a big outdoor mall and then moved on to a place called Kiama, which was a little beach town on the coast, south of Sydney.

After all the chanting and dancing, we took some quiet time at a Buddhist temple. The structure was amazingly opulent, only seeming to increase in magnanimity the more we wandered. There were thousands of Golden Buddhas littering the walls like tiles and four or five major Buddha Deities in the centre of the main temple. We were called into a meeting room by one of the monks, who talked with Maharaja, asking him why we decided to visit their temple and a little bit about our group. It took me a good fifteen minutes to realize the monk was actually a girl. We were soon off again and nestled back in our pocket at Govinda Valley, happy to rest after the day's activities.

[http://maddmonk.wordpress.com]

Email to a friendRelated

Srila Prabhupada's Letters

1974 June 25: "These great personalities are not to be imitated. If we artificially imitate it will not be very beneficial. I am requesting my disciples to always stay in the association of devotees and to propagate the sankirtana movement all over the world."
Prabhupada Letters :: 1974

Email to a friendRelated

Srila Prabhupada's Letters

1967 June 26 : "Although I am passing through critical stages of my health, still good reports from San Francisco, Montreal, and New York are giving me life. I have fixed up to start for San Francisco on the 5th and the rest remains on Krishna."
Prabhupada Letters :: 1967

Email to a friendRelated

Srila Prabhupada's Letters

1969 June 26 : "The most successful Sankirtana affairs are going on here. It is actually wonderful in comparison to others. They are also thinking of opening other branches and I have encouraged this idea."
Prabhupada Letters :: 1969

Email to a friendRelated

Maddy Jean-claude Durr, New Govardhana, AU: Original Aussie Journey: Day 8

Thursday 27th, December 2007. Santi was back on the wheel. I chanted some sleepy rounds before we arrived at Sydney temple. We came into the temple just as the devotees were paying their obeisances for mangala arati (4:30am). We joined them in the obeisances and then we disappeared off to a room upstairs, where we slept. I woke up about four hours later and was ready for the next adventure.

I found myself on the temple computer, looking to brag to my cyber friends about my exploits. The internet was slow and I found myself simply staring most of the time. The computer was just outside the sannyasi room so I found myself the random play for passing Sadhus. One particular Sadhu was HH Janananda Goswami, who stopped, looked at me and asked "who are you?" I told him my name and mentioned my father's name. He began to tell me of his travels with my father in Malaysia, apparently only a few years before I was born. It was a short but enlivening discussion and soon Maharaja bid me farewell.

I chanted some rounds in the park across the road from the temple. I hadn't been to Sydney temple since I was six years old so it was a nice experience. I remembered going out past this park on harinam, many years ago, but it had all changed over time. I returned to the temple for some Prasadam seva (serving Prasadam more so than honouring). We gathered the troopers and were off for a harinam adventure. My stuff was packed back in the van because we were shifting to Govinda Valley that very night. As far as I was concerned, Govinda Valley was a devotional nick name for the Hunter Valley, where New Gokul farm was located. I was very excited because this was where I had spent my childhood.

We had an ecstatic harinam in Sydney. I tagged along at the back, feeling the excitement of the devotees as it drenched into me. We were soon on our way towards Govinda Valley. I tried to look for familiar signs but it had been many years since I had travelled from Sydney to New Gokul. Eventually we stopped at a massive Sri Vaisnava temple for a visit. We had a quick look around and took darsana of whatever was familiar to us. Finally we made our way to Govinda Valley and I was amazed - it wasn't the Hunter Valley (my childhood home) at all but a new centre that I had never seen before.

We came down into a valley, following the signs, over a little creek and out into an amazing setting. It was a big beautiful yoga centre, nestled on a hillside, overlooking the rainforest. As we drove up, I saw some people who looked strangely familiar. It took me some time to make out their faces but soon I found I was with old friends. It was the Browngage family, who were friends of ours from Gurukula in New Govardhana. They had all been off to Mayapur for some years and only recently had some of them returned.

There was a reunion of friends. I found out that most of them were heading down to Tasmania to do some catering for New Govardhana, while one or two might be sticking around. We had an ishta gosthi in the evening, discussing our plans for the Sydney leg. I was struggling to keep up with it all. I was still amazed that we were in this strange and amazing place, called Govinda Valley. I could barely count my blessings.

[http://maddmonk.wordpress.com]

Email to a friendRelated

Srila Prabhupada's Letters

1969 June 26 : "In the beginning I suggested you form a small party and began to perform Sankirtana in the parks. Gradually this idea was taken by others, and I am getting good reports from everywhere."
Prabhupada Letters :: 1969

Email to a friendRelated

Srila Prabhupada's Letters

1969 June 26 : "If you come here and stay for a few days and study how they are doing, then you make a program for touring all over the country with Sankirtana Party. That is cent per cent supported by me."
Prabhupada Letters :: 1969

Email to a friendRelated

Srila Prabhupada's Letters

1969 June 26 : "Personally, I still maintain the idea of a world Sankirtana Party, but such things at the present moment are a dream only. But one day maybe it may come out successful."
Prabhupada Letters :: 1969

Email to a friendRelated

Srila Prabhupada's Letters

1970 June 26 : "Your plan to visit the heads of all the Embassies in Washington and give them Prasadam and explain our philosophy is very nice. Do it with great seriousness and Krsna will give you all further intelligence."
Prabhupada Letters :: 1970

Email to a friendRelated

Srila Prabhupada's Letters

1970 June 26 : "Your simple, full, twenty-four hour schedule of temple activities - classes, Sankirtana, Deity worship, offering and distributing Prasadam, and working in Krsna's service - this will make your life perfect."
Prabhupada Letters :: 1970

Email to a friendRelated

Srila Prabhupada's Letters

1975 June 26: "The magistrate has given a very good judgement in our favor and a very good certificate that this is bona fide religion. Yes, I am coming to your city on Friday. I look forward to meeting the professors."
Prabhupada Letters :: 1975

Email to a friendRelated

ISKCON News.com: USA: The World's Drug Addict

By Anuttama Das for ISKCON News on 26 Jun 2010

Many of us are familiar with the statistic that America, with only 5% of the world's population, consumes nearly 25% of the world's resources. Here's a less known fact: With the same 5% of the population, the United States consumes 65% of the world's illegal drugs.


Email to a friendRelated

H.H. Satsvarupa das Goswami: 479

www.sdgonline.org. SDGonline Daily updates

3:21 A.M.

I'm remembering what my friend told me about his chanting. He said unless he's hearing his own chanting then he doesn't think Krishna will reciprocate and hear the chanting. It's a simple neophyte practice, similar to Prabhupada's saying "Just hear." On my first four rounds my mind went wild, and I did not pay attention to the hearing. But I gained control on the second four and started hearing. Just hear your own chanting, and it gives you faith that the chanting is being effective. Now I've chanted twelve rounds so far and it's early.

Things are changing fast. Baladeva has already left for New York. Yadunandana Swami is here to be my assistant. I'm nervous about whether he'll be able to know how to send the journal off on the internet. But he has Caitanya-candrodaya to go to for help. I'll have to fend for myself more without Baladeva's presence. Yadunandana Swami will be in his place. We are planning to travel on the busiest day of the year, Sunday, July 4, and that's another cause of anxiety. I'll just have to see how things go and not worry. We still have some days of peace and quiet in the Yellow Submarine before we have to change.

Chant your japa and
hear the syllables
in your mind. Don't
let your mind dominate
you down another
path, thinking and hearing
of something else. It's as
simple as that. Don't
be disturbed by the fact
that all your furniture
and books have to move.
I don't have to do it myself.
I just have to read and
write and chant and hear.
So far today it is going
alright, only four
more rounds to do and
all your writing is ahead.

Email to a friendRelated

H.H. Satsvarupa das Goswami: Lionlike

www.sdgonline.org. SDGonline Daily updates

Prabhupada Smaranam

Recently in my free write I published a picture of two lions guarding the entrance of a building. I discussed the protective role of these symbolic statues posted at the entrance to gates and palaces and how even live guards are posted at entrance ways to guard important personages and even Lord Vishnu. Here we see two life-size, lifelike lions flanking the vyasasana of Srila Prabhupada in Krishna-Balarama Mandira in Vrndavana. These lions look very strong and fierce with their thick-necked manes and their carnivorous teeth. And yet they are like pets of Prabhupada, domesticated and under his control. In any emergency they could immediately leap forward and protect Srila Prabhupada from attackers. They could pounce on enemies with their nail-like claws and tear them apart like Nrsimhadeva tore apart Hiranyakasipu.

Prabhupada was himself lionlike, a simha-guru capable of defeating the Mayavadis and other atheists with his strong arguments and use of logic. He was brave, like the lions, being protected by the disciplic succession of Vaishnava gurus who were all intolerant to word blasphemy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Prabhupada appears withdrawn and contemplative here, with his eyes closed and his hands folded. But he is not sleeping. He is thinking of Krishna from within. And he is preparing to lecture. That means he is prepared to speak sweet glories of Bhagavan, but if necessary to strike out like a lion or a cobra against the tormentors of the devotees and against the false logicians who declare there is no God or that they themselves are God. When pasandis or atheists speak out like that, the Lord's devotees backed by His legions of lionlike acaryas, Lord Brahma, Vyasadeva, Narada, Sukadeva, and in more recent ages, Caitanya Mahaprabhu's legions, Rupa, Sanatana, Visvanatha Cakravarti and many, many others charge into battle, and they send the opposition fleeing or meeting their deaths on the battlefield.

Email to a friendRelated

H.H. Satsvarupa das Goswami: Hare Krishna Mantra

www.sdgonline.org. SDGonline Daily updates

My friend and I chant
Hare Krishna mantras in
the early morning.
Which one of us has it
right? We both do,
striving to pay attention.

But I think he may do
better than I. His explanation
of how he strives to get back
on track sounded very
sincere and worthy. I
glide along, silently
accumulating my numbers.

Do I pray to my Lord?
Yes there is some prayer in
there, a little bit,
purring with the motor
of the repetitions of the
sacred syllables. You
see, the syllables themselves
are sacred, so you pray
just by uttering. It
counts.

You count the numbers,
you keep the beat,
you love the melody
and even a little
cacophony they add
to make it lifelike.
It's called Pithecanthropus erectus
named after a primitive
prehuman. My chanting
is Homo sapien, twice
initiated, sannyasi,
slipped but recovered,
about to move to New York,
going to see the dentist today.

Mine is a silent move–
along chant where the
numbers go up and the
required quota goes down
as I near the day's vow.
My mind has a life of
its own, but the sound
fixes on the names of Hare and Krishna.

Yesterday he asked me if all
love comes from the yugala
mantra
. Without much
realization I said "Yes,
all love emanates from
Radha and Krishna. Our
simple compassion is to
give people the holy names.
It's called preaching.
It's much appreciated by
the Lord."

He told me he thinks if he
doesn't hear his own
chanting then Krishna won't
hear it either. So he tries
to hear.

I told him and yes I'm convinced Krishna loves Radha,
and it is not a voyeuristic
religion because when you are
pure, you are directly involved
in the love of Radha and Krishna,
you serve Krishna in some way.
You are not envious that
he's the enjoyer. You don't
want to become God. You
want to serve Him so
it's the perfect religion and
only the envious can't
understand (because they
want to be God).

Krishna conscious chanting
we agreed, is our daily
lot and we like to do it
although we don't say "It
feels like a shower of nectar."
We say it feels like a
good satisfaction of your
daily duty. It's your sublime name count
Hare Krishna in double time.

Email to a friendRelated

H.H. Satsvarupa das Goswami: The Ghoulish Figures…

www.sdgonline.org. SDGonline Daily updates

Free write

Vampires, werewolves and ghoulish figures are becoming more popular in Hollywood films nowadays. They are particularly attractive to teenagers who make a cult out of following the actors who play the parts of vampires. It is a commentary on the sick mentality of our culture that blood sucking demons have become heroes and pop stars to the youth. They would not actually like to get attacked by a vampire, but they get a weird, vicarious thrill out of seeing in enacted on film.

Youths, as well as adults, are so jaded from normal, healthy activities and so unhappy with themselves, that they turn to things which excite them by scaring them and inducing their dark, destructive sides. The most popular TV shows are crime investigation series in which viewers see many murders committed and close-ups of violence, bloody massacres and autopsies.

This is all the influence of the mode of ignorance which is growing stronger as Kali-yuga progresses. The imaginary crimes and monsters people watch on TV and films actually exist in everyday life, and the vicarious attraction of violence makes its occurrence more frequent in real life. People imitate the horror they see on TV and a vicious cycle increases.

Only by a healthy, transcendental life, can the mode of ignorance and the cult of the sadistic be countered. Krishna conscious people have no interest in watching murders and have no inclination of violent acts (the mass slaughter of animals for food also inures the population regarding violence and destroys compassion). We can only hope that by promulgation of Krishna conscious chanting, festivals and literature, people can be distracted away from the mode of ignorance and attracted to the simple, sublime life of the spirit where evil is driven out.

Email to a friendRelated

Jaya Kesava Das, USA: YOU CHOSE IT, USE IT

I've been listening to various lectures on the intricacies of Karma and examining, various scenarios, personalities and situations and trying to understand the Karma concept better. A simple and sublime explanation I heard is as follows:

     A person works at a company from Monday to Friday, and each day he drives to work, stops at the gas station, goes for lunch, buys something- gift or groceries, and spends money in other ways. Now, the money he's spending this week for all these necessities aren't a result of this weeks work; he's spending last week's paycheck. And according to the amount and quality of work he  does this week, he'll be able to spend in the future. So whatever we have in this life is a result of past actions, and what we do now will determine our future enjoyment of suffering. (Karma in a nutshell, but more intricate as well)


Yesterday, the 25th of June was the 1 year anniversary of Michael Jackson's death and I couldn't help but ponder what Karma he had and how he used it. How many songs did he sing that poked your ego where you tried to protect it (man in the mirror, black or white, Human Nature...). In my opinion, I give the guy an A plus. When I look at celebrated people, especially those who are at the top of their game, I become intrigued as well as inspired as a monk to be a better representative of the order I serve in. I mean, someone like Michael could put on a show! I remember watching a few of his concerts where people are carried out on stretchers, or others crying and screaming and totally beside themselves.  So  what distinguishes such a performer from others? I figure it's not just the skill, but the emotion, the mood, the feeling that goes with the performance. I'm sure we all have a singer or actor we like because of the mood they bring to the screen (Johnny Depp, opening scene, Pirates : Curse of the Black Pearl). So these people in a previous life worked to get where they are, and how they use that talent gets them to another good round in the next life. Even better is if  they have some pious activity or cultivation about them.
I could write lots on Celebrities  and their umph they add to their work, but how does that Apply to a monk? Or anyone who looks at life through a more spiritual mirror? Well, I see many who just stay on the sidewalk of spiritual culture, neither walking on the green grass of eternal culture, nor walking on the concrete streets of the material world. As a monk I tell  myself to be more bold each day; suck out the meaning of spirituality, let the energy flow for others to experience also. Krsna culture is a deep culture with more and more to see the more you delve into the rich Literatures and culture given by our predecessors. As Krsna himself says, as one surrenders to him, he  rewards them accordingly. So its up to us; we can all take a look into our "abilities and qualities" closets and see how to use each gift we have. When we use those gifts for Krsna, or put in a deeper feeling for those gifts as we use them for Krsna, the benefit is that we get closer to Krsna.

To conclude before I start to ramble more, All Spiritual and material worlds emanate from Krsna; the natures we have acquired and the ability to do what we do comes from Krsna. So for one who desires to enjoy in this world, worship Krsna. For one who desires to become free from the entanglements of this world, worship Krsna. Of course I must add that if a rich man told you he's give you whatever you asked for, and you only asked for some supply of bread, then you're pretty.... um,..... Pretty, but not so bright :)


   
Email to a friendRelated

H.H. Sivarama Swami: Experiments with synthesizer

New Vraja Dhama, December 27, 2008.

Email to a friendRelated

H.H. Sivarama Swami: Questions and Answers on chanting, Niranjana Swami and other topics with Russian disciples

English only.

Email to a friendRelated

Yoga of Ecology, Bhakta Chris, USA: The Animal-Cruelty Syndrome


Click here to read the full article from the New York Times

"The connection between animal abuse and other criminal behaviors was recognized, of course, long before the evolution of the social sciences and institutions with which we now address such behaviors. In his famous series of 1751 engravings, "The Four Stages of Cruelty," William Hogarth traced the life path of the fictional Tom Nero: Stage 1 depicts Tom as a boy, torturing a dog; Stage 4 shows Tom's body, fresh from the gallows where he was hanged for murder, being dissected in an anatomical theater. And animal cruelty has long been recognized as a signature pathology of the most serious violent offenders. As a boy, Jeffrey Dahmer impaled the heads of cats and dogs on sticks; Theodore Bundy, implicated in the murders of some three dozen people, told of watching his grandfather torture animals; David Berkowitz, the "Son of Sam," poisoned his mother's parakeet.

But the intuitions that informed the narrative arc of Tom Nero are now being borne out by empirical research. A paper published in a psychiatry journal in 2004, "A Study of Firesetting and Animal Cruelty in Children: Family Influences and Adolescent Outcomes," found that over a 10-year period, 6-to-12-year-old children who were described as being cruel to animals were more than twice as likely as other children in the study to be reported to juvenile authorities for a violent offense. In an October 2005 paper published in Journal of Community Health, a team of researchers conducting a study over seven years in 11 metropolitan areas determined that pet abuse was one of five factors that predicted who would begin other abusive behaviors. In a 1995 study, nearly a third of pet-owning victims of domestic abuse, meanwhile, reported that one or more of their children had killed or harmed a pet.

The link between animal abuse and interpersonal violence is becoming so well established that many U.S. communities now cross-train social-service and animal-control agencies in how to recognize signs of animal abuse as possible indicators of other abusive behaviors. In Illinois and several other states, new laws mandate that veterinarians notify the police if their suspicions are aroused by the condition of the animals they treat. The state of California recently added Humane Society and animal-control officers to the list of professionals bound by law to report suspected child abuse and is now considering a bill in the State Legislature that would list animal abusers on the same type of online registry as sex offenders and arsonists.

When I spoke recently with Stacy Wolf, vice president and chief legal counsel of the A.S.P.C.A.'s Humane Law Enforcement department, which focuses on the criminal investigation of animal-cruelty cases in New York City, she drew a comparison between the emerging mindfulness about animal cruelty and the changing attitudes toward domestic abuse in the 1980s. "It really has only been in recent years that there's been more free and accurate reporting with respect to animal cruelty, just like 30 years ago domestic violence was not something that was commonly reported," she said. "Clearly every act of violence committed against an animal is not a sign that somebody is going to hurt a person. But when there's a pattern of abusive behavior in a family scenario, then everyone from animal-control to family advocates to the court system needs to consider all vulnerable victims, including animals, and understand that violence is violence."

Email to a friendRelated

Bhakti Lata, Alachua, USA: Offering Homage


My hair stood on end when I entered Tompkins Square Park. The Park was lush and green, but lined with derelicts on benches, muttering to themselves. Rollerbladers sped by, and children with balls ran past. Everyone seemed so relaxed, as if there was nothing remarkable about this place at all.

Deeper into the park, there is a certain tree that spirals into the sky. When I turned a bend and the majestic branches of that tree came into view, shivers rolled through my body. As if entering a temple, I slipped off my shoes and got down on my hands and knees to offer my obeisance to this tree.

Fresh and old rose garlands were strewn around the base of the tree. High up in the first fork in the trunk was a small, official green sign that read, "The Hare Krishna Tree".

This is where it all began.

I sat down on the uneven bricks and took out my journal to write:


Forty-five years ago, an elderly Indian gentleman sat down about where I'm sitting, right now. He sat under this tree with a little bongo drum and sang the mahamantra...


... and changed the world. 


People who sit on the benches in a ring around this tree have no idea that the young woman who writes in her journal is only here and breathing because of a man who came 45 years before. That he sat under this tree and changed the lives of millions upon millions of people by simply playing a bongo drum and singing an ancient mantra. 


Srila Prabhupad loves me so much. He thought of me and prayed for me before I was even born. He wanted to give me the gift of the holy name, and his only motivation was compassion.


Prabhupad blows my mind.  


I realize that there is no way to repay the debt of wealth Prabhupad has given me.


Well, there is a way: to chant the gift of the holy name that he came to the West to give. 


I offer my respects to this tree. It is a great devotee - it intimately served and associated with my beloved Srila Prabhupad.


Thank you, my dear tree. Thank you Srila Prabhupad. I owe you my life. 



Email to a friendRelated

Gouranga TV: 24hr Kirtan Madhav Das

24hr Kirtan Madhav Das

Email to a friendRelated

Dandavats.com: Gurukula Project Team Weekly Reflections [23 June 2010]: Slaughtering Chastity

By Ishvari Devi Dasi

I hope other teens can learn from my experience and never leave devotional service allured by material attractions. As I undergo my karmi-detox program, I'm chanting the holy names and begging for the mercy of the Vaishnavas that I may remain in their hearts and prayers

Email to a friendRelated

Dandavats.com: Extatic Webcam Preaching By Nirantara Prabhu

Ramananda Raya BCS: Nirantara Prabhu developed a really extatic way of webcam preaching. If you write to his address : nirantara@juno.com, he will add you to his list and he will inform you when he will be online again (www. mayapur. tv)

Email to a friendRelated

Dandavats.com: New Vrindaban Annual Country Rathyatra Festival

Malati dasi: Sri Sri Gaura-Nitai will lead the procession / Continuous Kirtans / His Holiness Candramauli Swami will dance into your hearts / Fabulous American Picnic Style Prasad / Vendors of devotional goods welcomed / Special Evening Feature: Jagannath Swan Boat and Fire Works

Email to a friendRelated

Dandavats.com: Bhaktivedanta College Bhakti Sastri 2010

Dinadayal dasa: The Bhakti Shastri course encourages students not only to memorize the contents of Srila Prabhupada's books but also to digest the philosophy and practically apply it. Professionally designed by the Vaishnava Training and Education team, the course draws together the principles of Krishna consciousness and progressive education.

Email to a friendRelated

Dandavats.com: ISKCON Youth Bus Tour

Kavicandra swami: Manu Prabhu, never giving up in his efforts to serve ISKCON youth, is almost ready to start the 2010 tour. Lord Caitanya has awarded him a brand new bus.

Email to a friendRelated

More Recent Articles



Click here to safely unsubscribe now from "Planet ISKCON" or change your subscription or subscribe

 
Unsubscribe from all current and future newsletters powered by FeedBlitz
Your requested content delivery powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 9 Thoreau Way, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA. +1.978.776.9498

 







TABLA - FUENTES - FONTS

SOUV2 BalaramScaGoudyFOLIO 4.2Biblica Font





free counters

Disculpen las Molestias

Planet ISKCON - 2010  ·  Planet ISKCON - 2011

No hay comentarios:

Correo Vaishnava

Mi foto
Spain
Correo Devocional

Archivo del blog